Sunday, June 21, 2009

21 June 2009

Faithful followers of this blog, you may remember that in May 2008, I blogged about a knit Afghan I was making. I’d completed 2½ squares. To update you, I did finish the square, then a fourth, at which point I needed another skein of yarn. (pictures are at end of today’s blog) I won’t go into the details, but as I was winding the skein into a more manageable ball, the yarn, evidently unhappy about being wrenched from its cozy figure-8 position, started fighting with me. I’m sure you can guess what happened next; it got irremediably tangled.

I love a challenge, so I started unravelling the tangles. The yarn, however, wasn’t through with me yet. The more I untangled, the more tangled the yarn became. Exhausted, I gave up, somewhere around 1:00am. After several evenings trying to vanquish the evil ball of tangles, I put it out of sight, but not out of mind.

Every once in awhile, I went to peak at The Yarn. It stared balefully back at me. I smiled an evil smile. This was maybe around August. Then, I went to France, started working at Berlitz (not at the same time), and almost forgot about The Yarn, almost being the operative word. I’ll tackle it during my vacation, I promised myself.

True to my word, last evening, I brought the snarling, snaggled Yarn from it’s banishment, and…finally vanquished it! Yes! I’m ready to begin a new square, The Yarn is happy again—I knew it would be—and a pot of tea awaits me.

Below, squares 3 & 4 of the Afghan, instructions published in Knitter's Winter 2000. Square #3 was designed by Marian Tabler, Cincinnati, OH. Meredith Morioka, Garden City KS designed square #4.

Here are squares 1, right, and 2, left. Square #1 is the design of Judy Sumner, Knoxville, TN. Square #2 is from Julie H. Levy of Stuart, FL. The cat is Rascal. He's not knitted, but he often accompanies me as I knit.


4 comments:

cindy said...

Kathleen the squares are gorgeous. I have not knitted or crocheted in years. You have done wonderful work!!!

Lori said...

I'm so glad you conquered the "yarn demon". I've had a few of my own! Now Rascal looks like he could be a yarn demon's assistant! I know my 2 cats are!

Michelle said...

First I must say, I love your story about the battle with the yarn. LOL! So funny! And I know exactly what you mean. But when I've worked with yarn, the yarn always wins. LOL! You are doing a great job on your squares. Very pretty. Can't wait to see it all finished.

MezzoKat said...

Yes, Lori, he and Fripon are both attracted by the snakelike yarn movements, but they're manageable!

Post a Comment